Sunday, December 6, 2009

Openness

How do you define openness in adoption? I am lucky to say that we are venturing down this road early and I do hope it benefits all involved. I think about our little one's birthmother often...how she is doing....is she getting through this...does she want to hear from us? We exchanged one email between our first meeting and placement day...initiated by her. I'm glad she emailed...I didn't want to be the first one to initiate that contact. I can't imagine how hard this is for her...I felt I needed to thread lightly. Now that we have had placement I decided to send her an email without pics....just to check up on her and tell her how the transition went. I told her to ask when she wanted pics. She responded that day and said go ahead and send them. Her strength is amazing...I'm not sure I could be so strong in her shoes. So I've decided that openness is whatever you make it to be and whatever is comfortable for all parties involved. I know some close to me look at me and say....are you sure...is it too much...will she interfere. All I can say is that I don't know what this life will bring me but all I can do is what feels right. And this openness with our daughter's birthmom feels right.

1 comment:

Jodi said...

I think it's all a delicate balance to find what is right for everyone. Kudos to you for taking the inititive!