Saturday, September 6, 2008

2nd homestudy meeting

I met with my social worker on Thursday (9/4) for my second home study meeting. This meeting was all by myself...no Mike by my side. Once again this meeting was relaxed and comfortable. We discussed my childhood and my family....what I was like growing up...what I am like now. Our social worker is our advocate during this whole process so she needs to know everything about us so that we are matched appropriately. When I talk to others about our adoption, everyone seems to comment on the process and how frustrating it is that we have to jumps through so many hoops to "get a baby". I wanted to address this issue only because I have a different view on this topic. Naturally when someone decides to have a baby..they get pregnant and then they go to the doctor...not once....not twice....not even just three times.....but typically I'm guessing more than a dozen times. Then they go to parenting classes or birthing classes. Then they may or may not have a scare and have to go for testing. Then maybe they have to deal with morning sickness or swelling. This is my point...no matter how you welcome a baby into your family.....you still have to put in some work. My process is no easier or no harder....it is just different. The most important person in this process is the baby....that is why pregnant mothers get check - ups and that is why Mike and I have to fill out papers and "jumps through hoops". I have been presently surprised at how quickly this process is going and how easy it has been. The worst part was the paperwork....the meetings are easy and very necessary. I am glad there is someone to advocate my wishes...and advocates for the baby..and for the birthmother. So remember when you continuing reading about our journey that life is a process.....and all of this is necessary for us to come home with our child.

1 comment:

Jason & April said...

I never thought about all those parallels before between pregnancy/adoption. Good points!